1867

The journey Began

founded by blacks citizens who named David A. Bryant, Nelson Carter, Andrew J. Chesnutt, George Grange, Sr., Matthew Leary, Jr., Thomas Lomax, and Robert Simmons as Trustees. They paid $136.00 for two lots on Gillespie Street as the site for the school.

Robert W. Harris named Principal of the Howard School.

Howard School

1870

1875

1880

1885

1890

1895

1900

1905

1910

1915

1925

1935

1945

1955

1965

1975

1985

1995

2005

2015

1920

1930

1940

1950

1960

1970

1980

1990

2000

2010

1883

1888

1898

1899

1908

1922

1933

1941

1964

1954

1969

1947

1926

1929

1939

1956

1963

1966

1976

1982

1988

1993

1989

1994

1916

1902

1877

1868

became Principal, left to become Minister in Resident and Consul General of the United States to Liberia in 1888

High school courses discontinued and the title of Principal changed to President and Vice Principal to Dean. Celebrated Semi-Centennial in 1927. Newbold Elementary School built on campus (1930), served as practice school for student teachers.

School moved to Ashley Heights, then to rented building on Worth Street in 1906.

Fayetteville State Teachers College.

State approved granting of B.S. degree in Elementary Education.

Name changes: 1916-State Normal and Industrial School; 1921 State Normal School for the Negro Race; 1926-State Normal School.

became Principal. Supported distinguished speakers series.

returned as Principal. Left In 1898 to serve as Regimental Adjutant of the Third North Carolina Voluntary Infantry for the Spanish American War.

returned as Principal.

on Murchison Road with 40 acres of land. Smith set the standard for teacher training in NC with practice school concept.

Dr. E. E. Smith retired as President. Eight new brick buildings and cottages, with fifty acres on Murchison Road Campus.

Dr. J. Ward Seabrook retired. Nine new buildings on campus.

appointed as President.

became Principal, advocated high ideals and ambition. He resigned in 1883.

became Acting Principal.

Howard School building constructed and paid for by the Freedman's Bureau. Senior students out to teach in rural schools

George H. Williams

Dr. E. E. Smith

Dr. E. E. Smith

School Moved to its

Permanent site

Dr. J. Ward Seabrook

Accredited by SACS. Student Council organized.

Reverend Leonard (Robert) E. Fairley

Excellence of the Howard School enabled its selection as the first state teacher training institution for blacks.

State Colored Normal School.

New two year collegiate course of study required for Normal School graduates.

Robert W. Harris named Principal and he made Charles Chesnutt Assistant Principal. (After UNC-Chapel Hill, it is the second oldest State supported school in North Carolina). Harris died in 1880.

Ezekiel Ezra (E. E.) Smith

won 10 Conference Championships in basketball and football, 1941-1951.

Rights demonstrations which helped to integrate public accommodations in Fayetteville.

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr. became President

Coach William (Gus) Gaines

Member of AACTE.

Dr. Jones retired.

became Principal, left to become Minister in Resident and Consul General of the United States to Liberia in 1888

Fayetteville State Teachers College became a member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (SACS).  Enrollment reached a record of 1,000 students.

 

 

College students participated in Civil

NCATE Accreditation. (Celebrated Centennial in 1977.)

Established Early Childhood Educational Laboratory School.

First Master’s Degrees Conferred.

Initiated Army ROTC with Campbell U. at FSU

First HBCU approved to offer new Ed.D.in Educational Leadership, Expanded academic programs to include 36 disciplines, including nursing (RNBSN), 14 new master’s degree programs. Increased enrollment from 2,790 in 1988 to 4,109.

Technology Plan and Distance Learning Center developed. Title III enabled strides in technology.

First white student to graduate from FSU. NTE required for teacher education graduates.

 

 

Fayetteville State University. Designated as a state regional university.

Name changed. Student body and faculty integrated.

added 60 acres and 8 new buildings, extending the campus across the railroad tract.

1971

Telecommunication Center and WFSS-89.1 FM established.  Faculty Handbook adopted.  University Senate created.

1972

1987

1991

1996 - 2009

2011 - 2018

became the first Chancellor of the University. FSU became a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina and a Comprehensive Level I Institution, offering masters’ degrees

School offered 23 bachelor’s degrees and 3 master’s, including the MBA. Constructed 8 new buildings.

Dr. Willis B. McLeod became first alumnus appointed as Chancellor on November 15, 1995

Expanded collaboration with public schools. Initiated FIRST scholarship program with junior high school students.

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr.,

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr. retired.

Dr. Donna J. Benson, served as first female Interim Chancellor. Completed renovation of three buildings,

1973

Offered Associate of Arts degrees at Fort Bragg. Air Force ROTC activated at FSU.

named Chancellor. Established University College and Chancellor’s Scholars Program.

Dr. Hackley resigned to become President                                                                  of the North Carolina Community College System. Extensive renovation of buildings with air conditioning, and 3 new buildings.

2011 $25 million Capital Campaign initiated.

 

2011 SACS reaffirmation.

 

2012 Global initiatives with 14 countries, Study Abroad, Fulbright Fellows Program. International Early College High School established on campus.

 

2012 Top national rankings: Nursing program,

 

2014 Social Work, School of Business and Economics, Sustainability Awards, Expanded community collaborations, High Military Friendly rating, and established Center for Defense and Homeland Security.

 

2015 NCATE and DPI Accreditations reaffirmed; Three new buildings, expanded Student Center, campus beautification renovations, and LEEDs certified buildings.

 

2016 Initiated 2015-2020 Strategic Plan

 

2017 Sesquicentennial Celebration and

 

2018  successful $25 million Capital Campaign.

 

 

NLN Accreditation for RNBSN Nursing Program. Capital Campaign $5 million

1996 Introduced Freshman Year Initiative (FYI) to assure student success.

 

1998 CCNE Accreditation for Nursing Program.

 

2001 Reaffirmation of SACS, NCATE and SDPI.

 

2002 From 2002 through 2003, FSU won 14 CIAA Championships.

 

2003 Dr. Willis B. McLeod resigned. Initiated Bronco Square and University Place Apartments with FSU Foundation

 

2003 Dr. T. J. (Thelma Jane) Bryan, first female appointed Chancellor of FSU.

 

2005 Generic nursing program accredited by CCNE. Added 10 new academic programs and four programs online. Initiated Early College High School on campus.

 

2006 Master of Social Work program accredited by CSWE

 

2007 Business and accounting programs accredited by AACSB. Reaffirmation by NCATE and SDPI.

 

2007 Dr. T. J. Bryan resigned as Chancellor.

Renovated five campus buildings and initiated Fire Station #14.

 

2007 Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley named Interim Chancellor. 64 workshops on ethics, BRAC RTF participation. Lyons Science Annex completed. Improved Business Practices, returned to Book Rental system.

 

2008 Dr. James A. Anderson named Chancellor.

 

2009 2009-2015 Strategic Plan implemented.

 

 

Charles W. Chesnutt

Ezekiel Ezra (E. E.) Smith

Dr. E. E. Smith, President.

Dr. Rudolph Jones elected President.

Fayetteville State College.

Dr. Jones’ Master Plan

Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley

Teacher Education Warranty, $4 million Capital Campaign, NCATE, SDPI Accreditation

Home

FSU Home

Events

Photo Gallery

FSU Shop

FSU Timeline

Steering Committee

Videos

1200 Murchison Road • Fayetteville • North Carolina • 28301 • 910-672-1111

      

Howard School

founded by blacks citizens who named David A. Bryant, Nelson Carter, Andrew J. Chesnutt, George Grange, Sr., Matthew Leary, Jr., Thomas Lomax, and Robert Simmons as Trustees. They paid $136.00 for two lots on Gillespie Street as the site for the school.

Robert W. Harris named Principal of the Howard School.

1867

Howard School founded by blacks citizens who named David A. Bryant, Nelson Carter, Andrew J. Chesnutt, George Grange, Sr., Matthew Leary, Jr., Thomas Lomax, and Robert Simmons as Trustees. They paid $136.00 for two lots on Gillespie Street as the site for the school.

 

1867

Robert W. Harris named Principal of the Howard School.

 

1868

Howard School building constructed and paid for by the Freedman's Bureau. Senior students out to teach in rural schools

 

1877

State Colored Normal School. Excellence of the Howard School enabled its selection as the first state teacher training institution for blacks.

Robert W. Harris named Principal and he made Charles Chesnutt Assistant Principal. (After UNC-Chapel Hill, it is the second oldest State supported school in North Carolina). Harris died in 1880.

 

1880

Charles W. Chesnutt became Principal, advocated high ideals and ambition. He resigned in 1883.

 

1883

Ezekiel Ezra (E. E.) Smith became Principal, left to become Minister in Resident and Consul General of the United States to Liberia in 1888.

 

1888

George H. Williams became Principal. Supported distinguished speakers series.

 

1895

Dr. E. E. Smith returned as Principal. Left In 1898 to serve as Regimental Adjutant of the Third North Carolina Voluntary Infantry for the Spanish American War.

 

1898

Reverend Leonard (Robert) E. Fairley became Acting Principal.

 

1899

Dr. E. E. Smith returned as Principal.

 

1902

School moved to Ashley Heights, then to rented building on Worth Street in 1906.

 

1908

School moved to its permanent site on Murchison Road with 40 acres of land. Smith set the standard for teacher training in NC with practice school concept.

 

1916

Name changes: 1916-State Normal and Industrial School;

 

1921

State Normal School for the Negro Race;

 

1926

State Normal School.

 

1922

New two year collegiate course of study required for Normal School graduates.

 

1926-1929

Dr. E. E. Smith, President.  High school courses discontinued and the title of Principal changed to President and Vice Principal to Dean. Celebrated Semi-Centennial in 1927. Newbold Elementary School built on campus (1930), served as practice school for student teachers.

 

1933

Dr. E. E. Smith retired as President. Eight new brick buildings and cottages, with fifty acres on Murchison Road Campus.

 

1933

Dr. J. Ward Seabrook appointed as President.

 

1939

Fayetteville State Teachers College. State approved granting of B.S. degree in Elementary Education.

 

1941 Coach William (Gus) Gaines won 10 Conference Championships in basketball and football, 1941-1951.

 

1947

Accredited by SACS. Student Council organized.

 

1954

Member of AACTE.

 

1956

Dr. J. Ward Seabrook retired. Nine new buildings on campus.

 

1956

Dr. Rudolph Jones elected President.

 

1959

B.A. degrees and B.S. in Secondary Education. Charter revised to authorize degree programs in secondary education and degrees outside the teaching field.

 

1960

Fayetteville State Teachers College became a member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (SACS).  Enrollment reached a record of 1,000 students.

 

1960-1964

College students participated in Civil Rights demonstrations which helped to integrate public accommodations in Fayetteville.

 

1963

Fayetteville State College. Name changed. Student body and faculty integrated.

 

1964

First white student to graduate from FSU.

NTE required for teacher education graduates.

 

1966

Dr. Jones’ Master Plan added 60 acres and 8 new buildings, extending the campus across the railroad tract.

 

1969

Dr. Jones retired.

 

1969

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr. became President

 

1969

Fayetteville State University. Designated as a state regional university.

 

1970

Established Early Childhood Educational Laboratory School.

 

1971

Telecommunication Center and WFSS-89.1 FM established.  Faculty Handbook adopted.  University Senate created.

 

1972

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr., became the first Chancellor of the University. FSU became a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina and a Comprehensive Level I Institution, offering masters’ degrees.

 

1973

Offered Associate of Arts degrees at Fort Bragg. Air Force ROTC activated at FSU.

 

1976

NCATE Accreditation. (Celebrated Centennial in 1977.)

 

1982

First Master’s Degrees Conferred.

 

1987

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr. retired. School offered 23 bachelor’s degrees and 3 master’s, including the MBA. Constructed 8 new buildings.

 

1988

Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley named Chancellor. Established University College and Chancellor’s Scholars Program.

 

1989

Initiated Army ROTC with Campbell U. at FSU

 

1990

Teacher Education Warranty, $4 million Capital Campaign, NCATE, SDPI Accreditation

 

1991

Expanded collaboration with public schools. Initiated FIRST scholarship program with junior high school students.

 

1992

Celebrated 125th Anniversary. Buried Time Capsule to be opened in Sesquicentennial 2018 (150th Anniversary).

 

1993

Technology Plan and Distance Learning Center developed. Title III enabled strides in technology.

 

1994

First HBCU approved to offer new Ed.D.in Educational Leadership, Expanded academic programs to include 36 disciplines, including nursing (RNBSN), 14 new master’s degree programs. Increased enrollment from 2,790 in 1988 to 4,109.

 

1994

Dr. Hackley resigned to become President                                                                  of the North Carolina Community College System. Extensive renovation of buildings with air conditioning, and 3 new buildings.

 

1995

Dr. Donna J. Benson, served as first female Interim Chancellor. Completed renovation of three buildings,

 

1995

Dr. Willis B. McLeod became first alumnus appointed as Chancellor on November 15, 1995.

 

1995

NLN Accreditation for RNBSN Nursing Program. Capital Campaign $5 million

 

1996

Introduced Freshman Year Initiative (FYI) to assure student success.

 

1998

CCNE Accreditation for Nursing Program.

 

2001

Reaffirmation of SACS, NCATE and SDPI.

 

2002 - 2003

FSU won 14 CIAA Championships.

 

2003

Dr. Willis B. McLeod resigned. Initiated Bronco Square and University Place Apartments with FSU Foundation

 

2003

Dr. T. J. (Thelma Jane) Bryan, first female appointed Chancellor of FSU.

 

2005

Generic nursing program accredited by CCNE. Added 10 new academic programs and four programs online. Initiated Early College High School on campus.

 

2006

Master of Social Work program accredited by CSWE

 

2007

Business and accounting programs accredited by AACSB. Reaffirmation by NCATE and SDPI.

 

2007

Dr. T. J. Bryan resigned as Chancellor.

Renovated five campus buildings and initiated Fire Station #14.

 

2007

Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley named Interim Chancellor. 64 workshops on ethics, BRAC RTF participation. Lyons Science Annex completed. Improved Business Practices, returned to Book Rental system.

 

2008

Dr. James A. Anderson named Chancellor.

 

2009

2009-2015 Strategic Plan implemented.

 

2011

$25 million Capital Campaign initiated.

 

2011

SACS reaffirmation.

 

2012

Global initiatives with 14 countries, Study Abroad, Fulbright Fellows Program. International Early College High School established on campus.

2012

 

2014

Top national rankings: Nursing program, Social Work, School of Business and Economics, Sustainability Awards, Expanded community collaborations, High Military Friendly rating, and established Center for Defense and Homeland Security.

 

2015

NCATE and DPI Accreditations reaffirmed; Three new buildings, expanded Student Center, campus beautification renovations, and LEEDs certified buildings.

 

2016

Initiated 2015-2020 Strategic Plan

 

2017

 

2018

Sesquicentennial Celebration and successful $25 million Capital Campaign.

 

Ezekiel Ezra (E.E.) Smith

Howard School

Leonard (Robert E. Fairley

Dr. J. Ward Seabrook

1867

Howard School founded by blacks citizens who named David A. Bryant, Nelson Carter, Andrew J. Chesnutt, George Grange, Sr., Matthew Leary, Jr., Thomas Lomax, and Robert Simmons as Trustees. They paid $136.00 for two lots on Gillespie Street as the site for the school.

 

1867

Robert W. Harris named Principal of the Howard School.

 

1868

Howard School building constructed and paid for by the Freedman's Bureau. Senior students out to teach in rural schools

 

1877

State Colored Normal School. Excellence of the Howard School enabled its selection as the first state teacher training institution for blacks.

Robert W. Harris named Principal and he made Charles Chesnutt Assistant Principal. (After UNC-Chapel Hill, it is the second oldest State supported school in North Carolina). Harris died in 1880.

 

1880

Charles W. Chesnutt became Principal, advocated high ideals and ambition. He resigned in 1883.

 

1883

Ezekiel Ezra (E. E.) Smith became Principal, left to become Minister in Resident and Consul General of the United States to Liberia in 1888.

 

1888

George H. Williams became Principal. Supported distinguished speakers series.

 

1895

Dr. E. E. Smith returned as Principal. Left In 1898 to serve as Regimental Adjutant of the Third North Carolina Voluntary Infantry for the Spanish American War.

 

1898

Reverend Leonard (Robert) E. Fairley became Acting Principal.

 

1899

Dr. E. E. Smith returned as Principal.

 

1902

School moved to Ashley Heights, then to rented building on Worth Street in 1906.

 

1908

School moved to its permanent site on Murchison Road with 40 acres of land. Smith set the standard for teacher training in NC with practice school concept.

 

1916

Name changes: 1916-State Normal and Industrial School;

 

1921

State Normal School for the Negro Race;

 

1926

State Normal School.

 

1922

New two year collegiate course of study required for Normal School graduates.

 

1926-1929

Dr. E. E. Smith, President.  High school courses discontinued and the title of Principal changed to President and Vice Principal to Dean. Celebrated Semi-Centennial in 1927. Newbold Elementary School built on campus (1930), served as practice school for student teachers.

 

1933

Dr. E. E. Smith retired as President. Eight new brick buildings and cottages, with fifty acres on Murchison Road Campus.

 

1933

Dr. J. Ward Seabrook appointed as President.

 

1939

Fayetteville State Teachers College. State approved granting of B.S. degree in Elementary Education.

 

1941 Coach William (Gus) Gaines won 10 Conference Championships in basketball and football, 1941-1951.

 

1947

Accredited by SACS. Student Council organized.

 

1954

Member of AACTE.

 

1956

Dr. J. Ward Seabrook retired. Nine new buildings on campus.

 

1956

Dr. Rudolph Jones elected President.

 

1959

B.A. degrees and B.S. in Secondary Education. Charter revised to authorize degree programs in secondary education and degrees outside the teaching field.

 

1960

Fayetteville State Teachers College became a member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (SACS).  Enrollment reached a record of 1,000 students.

 

1960-1964

College students participated in Civil Rights demonstrations which helped to integrate public accommodations in Fayetteville.

 

1963

Fayetteville State College. Name changed. Student body and faculty integrated.

 

1964

First white student to graduate from FSU.

NTE required for teacher education graduates.

 

1966

Dr. Jones’ Master Plan added 60 acres and 8 new buildings, extending the campus across the railroad tract.

 

1969

Dr. Jones retired.

 

1969

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr. became President

 

1969

Fayetteville State University. Designated as a state regional university.

 

1970

Established Early Childhood Educational Laboratory School.

 

1971

Telecommunication Center and WFSS-89.1 FM established.  Faculty Handbook adopted.  University Senate created.

 

1972

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr., became the first Chancellor of the University. FSU became a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina and a Comprehensive Level I Institution, offering masters’ degrees.

 

1973

Offered Associate of Arts degrees at Fort Bragg. Air Force ROTC activated at FSU.

 

1976

NCATE Accreditation. (Celebrated Centennial in 1977.)

 

1982

First Master’s Degrees Conferred.

 

1987

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr. retired. School offered 23 bachelor’s degrees and 3 master’s, including the MBA. Constructed 8 new buildings.

 

1988

Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley named Chancellor. Established University College and Chancellor’s Scholars Program.

 

1989

Initiated Army ROTC with Campbell U. at FSU

 

1990

Teacher Education Warranty, $4 million Capital Campaign, NCATE, SDPI Accreditation

 

1991

Expanded collaboration with public schools. Initiated FIRST scholarship program with junior high school students.

 

1992

Celebrated 125th Anniversary. Buried Time Capsule to be opened in Sesquicentennial 2018 (150th Anniversary).

 

1993

Technology Plan and Distance Learning Center developed. Title III enabled strides in technology.

 

1994

First HBCU approved to offer new Ed.D.in Educational Leadership, Expanded academic programs to include 36 disciplines, including nursing (RNBSN), 14 new master’s degree programs. Increased enrollment from 2,790 in 1988 to 4,109.

 

1994

Dr. Hackley resigned to become President                                                                  of the North Carolina Community College System. Extensive renovation of buildings with air conditioning, and 3 new buildings.

 

1995

Dr. Donna J. Benson, served as first female Interim Chancellor. Completed renovation of three buildings,

 

1995

Dr. Willis B. McLeod became first alumnus appointed as Chancellor on November 15, 1995.

 

1995

NLN Accreditation for RNBSN Nursing Program. Capital Campaign $5 million

 

1996

Introduced Freshman Year Initiative (FYI) to assure student success.

 

1998

CCNE Accreditation for Nursing Program.

 

2001

Reaffirmation of SACS, NCATE and SDPI.

 

2002 - 2003

FSU won 14 CIAA Championships.

 

2003

Dr. Willis B. McLeod resigned. Initiated Bronco Square and University Place Apartments with FSU Foundation

 

2003

Dr. T. J. (Thelma Jane) Bryan, first female appointed Chancellor of FSU.

 

2005

Generic nursing program accredited by CCNE. Added 10 new academic programs and four programs online. Initiated Early College High School on campus.

 

2006

Master of Social Work program accredited by CSWE

 

2007

Business and accounting programs accredited by AACSB. Reaffirmation by NCATE and SDPI.

 

2007

Dr. T. J. Bryan resigned as Chancellor.

Renovated five campus buildings and initiated Fire Station #14.

 

2007

Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley named Interim Chancellor. 64 workshops on ethics, BRAC RTF participation. Lyons Science Annex completed. Improved Business Practices, returned to Book Rental system.

 

2008

Dr. James A. Anderson named Chancellor.

 

2009

2009-2015 Strategic Plan implemented.

 

2011

$25 million Capital Campaign initiated.

 

2011

SACS reaffirmation.

 

2012

Global initiatives with 14 countries, Study Abroad, Fulbright Fellows Program. International Early College High School established on campus.

2012

 

2014

Top national rankings: Nursing program, Social Work, School of Business and Economics, Sustainability Awards, Expanded community collaborations, High Military Friendly rating, and established Center for Defense and Homeland Security.

 

2015

NCATE and DPI Accreditations reaffirmed; Three new buildings, expanded Student Center, campus beautification renovations, and LEEDs certified buildings.

 

2016

Initiated 2015-2020 Strategic Plan

 

2017

 

2018

Sesquicentennial Celebration and successful $25 million Capital Campaign.

 

1200 Murchison Road Fayetteville • North Carolina 28301 • 910-672-1111

1867

Howard School founded by blacks citizens who named David A. Bryant, Nelson Carter, Andrew J. Chesnutt, George Grange, Sr., Matthew Leary, Jr., Thomas Lomax, and Robert Simmons as Trustees. They paid $136.00 for two lots on Gillespie Street as the site for the school.

 

1867

Robert W. Harris named Principal of the Howard School.

 

1868

Howard School building constructed and paid for by the Freedman's Bureau. Senior students out to teach in rural schools

 

1877

State Colored Normal School. Excellence of the Howard School enabled its selection as the first state teacher training institution for blacks.

Robert W. Harris named Principal and he made Charles Chesnutt Assistant Principal. (After UNC-Chapel Hill, it is the second oldest State supported school in North Carolina). Harris died in 1880.

 

1880

Charles W. Chesnutt became Principal, advocated high ideals and ambition. He resigned in 1883.

 

1883

Ezekiel Ezra (E. E.) Smith became Principal, left to become Minister in Resident and Consul General of the United States to Liberia in 1888.

 

1888

George H. Williams became Principal. Supported distinguished speakers series.

 

1895

Dr. E. E. Smith returned as Principal. Left In 1898 to serve as Regimental Adjutant of the Third North Carolina Voluntary Infantry for the Spanish American War.

 

1898

Reverend Leonard (Robert) E. Fairley became Acting Principal.

 

1899

Dr. E. E. Smith returned as Principal.

 

1902

School moved to Ashley Heights, then to rented building on Worth Street in 1906.

 

1908

School moved to its permanent site on Murchison Road with 40 acres of land. Smith set the standard for teacher training in NC with practice school concept.

 

1916

Name changes: 1916-State Normal and Industrial School;

 

1921

State Normal School for the Negro Race;

 

1926

State Normal School.

 

1922

New two year collegiate course of study required for Normal School graduates.

 

1926-1929

Dr. E. E. Smith, President.  High school courses discontinued and the title of Principal changed to President and Vice Principal to Dean. Celebrated Semi-Centennial in 1927. Newbold Elementary School built on campus (1930), served as practice school for student teachers.

 

1933

Dr. E. E. Smith retired as President. Eight new brick buildings and cottages, with fifty acres on Murchison Road Campus.

 

1933

Dr. J. Ward Seabrook appointed as President.

 

1939

Fayetteville State Teachers College. State approved granting of B.S. degree in Elementary Education.

 

1941 Coach William (Gus) Gaines won 10 Conference Championships in basketball and football, 1941-1951.

 

1947

Accredited by SACS. Student Council organized.

 

1954

Member of AACTE.

 

1956

Dr. J. Ward Seabrook retired. Nine new buildings on campus.

 

1956

Dr. Rudolph Jones elected President.

 

1959

B.A. degrees and B.S. in Secondary Education. Charter revised to authorize degree programs in secondary education and degrees outside the teaching field.

 

1960

Fayetteville State Teachers College became a member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (SACS).  Enrollment reached a record of 1,000 students.

 

1960-1964

College students participated in Civil Rights demonstrations which helped to integrate public accommodations in Fayetteville.

 

1963

Fayetteville State College. Name changed. Student body and faculty integrated.

 

1964

First white student to graduate from FSU.

NTE required for teacher education graduates.

 

1966

Dr. Jones’ Master Plan added 60 acres and 8 new buildings, extending the campus across the railroad tract.

 

1969

Dr. Jones retired.

 

1969

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr. became President

 

1969

Fayetteville State University. Designated as a state regional university.

 

1970

Established Early Childhood Educational Laboratory School.

 

1971

Telecommunication Center and WFSS-89.1 FM established.  Faculty Handbook adopted.  University Senate created.

 

1972

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr., became the first Chancellor of the University. FSU became a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina and a Comprehensive Level I Institution, offering masters’ degrees.

 

1973

Offered Associate of Arts degrees at Fort Bragg. Air Force ROTC activated at FSU.

 

1976

NCATE Accreditation. (Celebrated Centennial in 1977.)

 

1982

First Master’s Degrees Conferred.

 

1987

Dr. Charles "A" Lyons, Jr. retired. School offered 23 bachelor’s degrees and 3 master’s, including the MBA. Constructed 8 new buildings.

 

1988

Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley named Chancellor. Established University College and Chancellor’s Scholars Program.

 

1989

Initiated Army ROTC with Campbell U. at FSU

 

1990

Teacher Education Warranty, $4 million Capital Campaign, NCATE, SDPI Accreditation

 

1991

Expanded collaboration with public schools. Initiated FIRST scholarship program with junior high school students.

 

1992

Celebrated 125th Anniversary. Buried Time Capsule to be opened in Sesquicentennial 2018 (150th Anniversary).

 

1993

Technology Plan and Distance Learning Center developed. Title III enabled strides in technology.

 

1994

First HBCU approved to offer new Ed.D.in Educational Leadership, Expanded academic programs to include 36 disciplines, including nursing (RNBSN), 14 new master’s degree programs. Increased enrollment from 2,790 in 1988 to 4,109.

 

1994

Dr. Hackley resigned to become President                                                                  of the North Carolina Community College System. Extensive renovation of buildings with air conditioning, and 3 new buildings.

 

1995

Dr. Donna J. Benson, served as first female Interim Chancellor. Completed renovation of three buildings,

 

1995

Dr. Willis B. McLeod became first alumnus appointed as Chancellor on November 15, 1995.

 

1995

NLN Accreditation for RNBSN Nursing Program. Capital Campaign $5 million

 

1996

Introduced Freshman Year Initiative (FYI) to assure student success.

 

1998

CCNE Accreditation for Nursing Program.

 

2001

Reaffirmation of SACS, NCATE and SDPI.

 

2002 - 2003

FSU won 14 CIAA Championships.

 

2003

Dr. Willis B. McLeod resigned. Initiated Bronco Square and University Place Apartments with FSU Foundation

 

2003

Dr. T. J. (Thelma Jane) Bryan, first female appointed Chancellor of FSU.

 

2005

Generic nursing program accredited by CCNE. Added 10 new academic programs and four programs online. Initiated Early College High School on campus.

 

2006

Master of Social Work program accredited by CSWE

 

2007

Business and accounting programs accredited by AACSB. Reaffirmation by NCATE and SDPI.

 

2007

Dr. T. J. Bryan resigned as Chancellor.

Renovated five campus buildings and initiated Fire Station #14.

 

2007

Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley named Interim Chancellor. 64 workshops on ethics, BRAC RTF participation. Lyons Science Annex completed. Improved Business Practices, returned to Book Rental system.

 

2008

Dr. James A. Anderson named Chancellor.

 

2009

2009-2015 Strategic Plan implemented.

 

2011

$25 million Capital Campaign initiated.

 

2011

SACS reaffirmation.

 

2012

Global initiatives with 14 countries, Study Abroad, Fulbright Fellows Program. International Early College High School established on campus.

2012

 

2014

Top national rankings: Nursing program, Social Work, School of Business and Economics, Sustainability Awards, Expanded community collaborations, High Military Friendly rating, and established Center for Defense and Homeland Security.

 

2015

NCATE and DPI Accreditations reaffirmed; Three new buildings, expanded Student Center, campus beautification renovations, and LEEDs certified buildings.

 

2016

Initiated 2015-2020 Strategic Plan

 

2017

 

2018

Sesquicentennial Celebration and successful $25 million Capital Campaign.

 

1200 Murchison Road Fayetteville • North Carolina 28301 • 910-672-1111